Hi loves! Sorry I haven’t gotten a Best of 2015 up yet, I was away last week and had a ton to catch up on, but you will know my must-haves very soon! Today I’m reviewing some new Maybelline drugstore products I’ve been testing for about 3 weeks. January brought a slew of new products, I’m also on the hunt for the new L’Oreal Cushion foundation in my shade, but today I have Maybelline’s new Dream Velvet Soft-Matte Hydrating Foundation, the Vivid Matte Liquid Lip Color, Brow Define and Fill Duo and FaceStudio Master Fix and Setting Powder. Boy, was that a mouthful. I also have a full drugstore glam makeup look below. Read on makeup mavens!
Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft-Matte Hydrating Foundation: I found this foundation in the drugstore about 3 weeks ago, and as I mentioned in a post in December I’ve been on the hunt for a new drugstore foundation. I used to use Maybelline’s Dream Mousse and Fit Me Dewy and Smooth foundations, but while I loved the coverage, I always got dry patches on my nose. Anyway, I decided to give this a go. At first it was difficult for me to pick a shade: the two lightest are Warm Porcelain and Porcelain Ivory. I went with Warm Porcelain as it didn’t look as pink on the packaging. I will say putting this on my hand it looked way too warm at first, but it blends right into my skin color once it dries down. The consistency of this is thick and very much like a squeezed mousse, and unlike any foundation I’ve ever tried. It truly is what the name says though: it’s a hydrating matte foundation. I’ve had no issues with this drying my skin out and the coverage is medium to full and it last about 8 hours without a primer. I think I’ve found my new favorite drugstore foundation! 9.5/10
- Best tool for this foundation: It Brushes for Ulta Airbrush Buffing Foundation Brush #110 (I definitely prefer a buffing brush to a Beauty Blender with this product)
- Price: $10.99
- Ounces: 1 oz
- Okay to set with powder: Yes
- Staying powder: 8-10 hours
- Coverage: Medium to full
- Color selection: 12 colors (only one truly dark shade though)
Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid Lip Colors: So like many other makeup lovers who see this, you probably think these are Maybelline’s versions of liquid lipsticks, like Colourpop’s Ultra Matte Liquid Lipsticks or Anastasia Liquid Lipsticks, they are not a true liquid lipstick. These lipsticks are a creamy consistency hat have a satin-matte finish. They never dry down, so they do transfer. I bought the colors 5 Nude Thrill and 50 Possessed Plum. I have to say I love love love Nude Thrill. I think the color is stunning, and I personally like the creaminess, it’s like a matte lipgloss. The coverage for Nude Thrill is medium-full and it doesn’t feel uncomfortable to build. Possessed Plum on the other hand is a different story. This colors moves on your lips as you swipe so you can never get a full coverage without seeing your lip color come through. It takes about 4-5 swipes to get a mostly opaque color but as this product transfers it’s hard to wear. It may be okay if you wear it over a lipstick.These are also extremely perfumey. I am curious to try another deeper shade, just to see if the Possessed Plum is an exception, but overall I’d give these a 6.5/10.
- Shades: 10
- Price: $7.99
- Coverage: Medium
- Size: .26 oz
- Perfumey scent
- Cream consistency
Maybelline Brow and Fill Duo: This product is a hybrid of a brow pencil similar to Anastasia’s Brow Wiz and a powder. This is the only product I’ve ever found like it on the market. At first, I didn’t love the powder, as it seems like it doesn’t really come out, and I also don’t love this doesn’t have a spooley but really they have no where to put one. The pencil end runs out pretty quick and starts out longer than it should meaning it will probably break off. The thing is, I love the actually product. I think the powder gives my brows a natural finish unlike any other powder. It’s probably because of the domed end it comes out of, it’s not as harsh as using a angled brush. I also really like the pencil end, it defines nicely and creates natural strokes. So I’m torn, I really like this product but the pencil end mechanically causes a lot of problems that may make this a product that’s frustrating and you’ll have to replace often. 7/10
- Shades: 4
- Price: $7.99
- Pencil and domed end which distributes powder
Maybelline FaceStudio Master Fix Setting + Perfecting Loose Powder: I haven’t used this product too long, and as you have probably realized I’m pretty married to Revlon’s Aqua Ready translucent powder, but this is a close second. I think this powder is very similar to more high-end powders like the Make Up Forever Translucent powder. It’s very finely milled and doesn’t leave a white residue. I think this powder is perfect for all skin types but especially someone with oily/combo skin. If you have been on the hunt for a good drugstore translucent powder, I think this is it! 9.5/10
- Shades: 1 (Translucent)
- Price: $9.99
- Size: .21 oz
- Primer: I ran out of my usual drugstore primer, but would use Loreal Magic Lumi Primer normally
- Foundation: Maybelline Dream Velvet Soft-Matte Hydrating Foundation in 05 Warm Porcelain
- Concealer: Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in Fair (I also love NYX HD concealer but I ran out of that too)
- Powder: Maybelline FaceStudio Powder
- Brows: Maybelline Brow and Fill Duo in Deep Brown with NYX Brow Mascara in Brunette to set
- Crease- NYX Matte Shadow in Maybe Later.
- Lid- L’Oreal Colour Riche Monos Eyeshadow in Sunset Seine (this look a lot more orange online, it’s like a golden color in person)
- Outer Lid- Colourpop Supershock shadow in Lectra, which I also used on the lower lashline and outer crease. (It looks like this is sold out but you can use Porter or Leopard for a similar effect).
- Browbone and inner corner: Morphe 35O shimmer beige shade. You can use any shimmering highlight shade for the same effect.
- Liquid liner: Jordana Cat Eye Liner in Black Leather (I buy mine at Walgreens)
- Waterline liner: L’Oreal Silkissime in Black
- Lashes: Ardell Wispies (I believe these are a new style, they’re not the Natural or Glamour, the packaging says Wispies in red. Got at Walgreens)
- Mascara: L’Oreal Carbon Black Telescopic
- Blush: Mixed Milani Baked Blushes in Berry Amore and Dolce Pink
- Highlighter: BH Cosmetics Carli Bybel Palette second highlight in. I also love Phyiscians Formula highlighters and Maybelline MasterStudio highlighters.
- Liner: Colourpop Flawless
- Lip color: Maybelline Vivid Matte Lip Color in Possessed Plum
One thought on “Dreaming in the Drugstore: New Maybelline Product Reviews”