I promised I’d be back at it again (every time I say this the Damn Daniel kid’s voice rings in my head) with another blog post! I love when you feel inspired by a makeup look that’s something fresh in the sea of overdone looks, and that’s how I felt about model Taylor Hill’s makeup from the MTV Video Music Awards; Glamour breaks down her look here. The lovely and wearable makeup reminds me of a beauty look ripped straight from Brigitte Bardot, but with a some new wave flair with the glittery lids. Even though the VMA’s are known for the wild and crazy ensembles, I feel like this year’s red carpet featured a ton of wearable looks for you next event or date night.
We may not all have Taylor’s pout, eyebrow game or perfect wispy flyaways, (I tried and ultimately looked like my hair got stuck in a hanger, so back it went) but anyone can achieve this look. See my steps below with some affordable options as well, and I even give a mini lesson on how to get that sleek ballerina bun!
Foundation: L’Oreal Pro Glow 203 Nude Beige
Concealer: Maybelline Fit Me in Light
Powder: Kat Von D Lock-It Setting Powder
Eyeshadows (shortest list I will probably ever have! But so easy)
- Outer lid and outer crease: LORAC Pro Palette shadow Black. Similar: L’Oreal Colour Riche Monos Eyeshadow in Noir Cest Noir.
- Mid to inner lid: Colourpop On the Rocks Supershock Shadow (applied with my fingers!)
- Glitter: MAC Copper Sparkle Pigment on top of On the Rocks and in the inner corner
- Applied with a MAC Fix + and a MAC 242 shader brush. Spritz brush a bit with Fix + and then dip into pigment and press on lid.
- Browbone: LORAC Pro Palette Cream and White shadows mixed. Can use any neutral cream shadow.
Lashes: Ardell Lashes Double Ups 205 (in the pinkish/purple packaging) found in-store at Ulta. Used House of Lashes lash glue.
Mascara: L’Oreal Carbon Black Telescopic
Blush: Colourpop Holiday; I apply cream blushes with a stippling brush
Highlighters: Broke out two highlighters to get the Victoria’s Secret glow. Colourpop Spoon Highlighter and Makeup Revolution Vivid Baked Highlighter in Golden Lights. I applied on the bridge of my nose, tops to middle of my cheeks, forehead and above my brows. Always apply the cream first, then powder highlight if you use both.
- Lipliner: Jordana Easy Lipliner in Tawny
- Lipstick: Bite Beauty Amuse Bouche Lipstick in Verbana. Similar: L’Oreal Colour Riche Lip Balm in Heavenly Berry (you could skip the gloss with this).
- Gloss: Maybelline Shine Shot Lip Topcoat in Prismatic
How to Get a Sleek Ballerina Bun
- Use a boar bristle brush, I use one similar to the Wigo Teasing Boar Bristle Brush, and some hair spray then flip hair over and smooth all around into a high ponytail.
- Secure hair in a high ponytail with an elastic.
- Bobby pin any sections that may be a bit lumpy and bumpy (no need to work those arm muscles by starting all over)
- Twist the ponytail into a bun and secure hair with bobby pins as you go. Shape as you go along until it’s sleek and round. If you have layers you can use bobby pins to tuck those pieces away.
- Then spritz with some hairspray (pull some front framing pieces out if you’re lucky to have cute ones) and you’re all set.