So I have something to admit, I used to be a bit of a punk wannabe back in the day. You know, I had the scene side bangs, the rimmed black eyeliner that would even scare a mama raccoon and a taste for Green Day and Fall Out Boy (I may still sometimes indulge in the last one). I may have retired my Warped Tour style years ago, but one thing I’ll never retire is my love of music.
Recently, I’ve realized the concert tees I used to rock in middle and high school, usually with a pair of ripped jeans and Converses, are not all that flattering. Many music tees are oversized and look boxy on a woman’s frame. Fortunately, many stores now carry women’s sizes, but if you still love a cult band (like I do) you may have to style that tee into fitting like a shirt you got from Forever 21. Below is this look, my style tips and picks for best concert tees, as well as my favorite bands/ songs at the moment and lastly makeup deets. Enjoy darlings!
Outfit Details and Style tips:
Tee: City and Colour Women’s Sometimes T-Shirt, $25
Skirt: ASOS Full Midi Skirt on sale for $16.50 but only in yellow (sad face) similar American Apparel Chiffon Pleated Skirt or Missguided Rai Faux Leather Full Midi Skirt Burgundy
Shoes: Go Jane a few years old, but this style is my ride or die and I can’t find similar ones anywhere (extra sad face).
When fashioning up a band tee I suggest:
- Accessorizing, whether it be a statement necklace, such as the Zelda Fringe Bib Necklace from Bauble Bar or the Etched Tribal-Inspired Necklace from Forever 21, adding Navajo jewelry, ear cuffs, bangles, the works, really adds style to a band tee.
- Headware is your best friend: This is not the time to slack on your hair or pull it in a pony. If you want to go for rocker girl chic, working out that do is a must (even if it is that California bedhead look). I love headwraps such as the Leaf Fringe Goddess Chain Headwrap by Urban Outfitters or ASOS Fine Filigree Hair Crown. I also love a good hat, which will keep the sun off your face at outdoor concerts and festivals. My picks: ASOS Skinny Band Felt Floppy Hat (comes in black and burgundy) and H&M’s Felt Hat in Wool.
- Even if there are not women’s sizes by a mens small.
- To make a larger size shirt work tuck the shirt into a skirt, this also works with high-waisted shorts (not so much jeans, the fabric tends to bunch in the jeans).
- Add a belt to cinch in your waist and any extra material. My picks: H&M Waist Belt and Forever 21 Braided Faux Leather Belt, I love a braided belt because you can use the braids as holes to tighten at the waist where regular belt holes wouldn’t hold up a belt on a skirt.
Top Concert Tee Picks
- Forever 21 Rolling Stones Racerback Ringer Tank (their selection of women’s fitted concert tee’s is probably the best out there and so inexpensive!, browse their graphic tee section for more options)
- H&M Ramones Oversized T-Shirt
- Beyonce Pink Name Tee
- Junk Food The Who Tee
- Hot Topic The Rolling Stones Fang Tee
- Hot Topic The 1975 Logo Girls T-Shirt
- Urban Outfitters The Strokes Boyfriend Tee
- Rad Drake Royals Tee (this Royals collection is hilarious, features Beyonce, Kanye, Lana Del Rey and more dressed in royal clothing)
- Spencer Gifts Dibs On The Guitarist Racerback Tank
- Target Taylor Swift 1989 Tee
A List for the Fellow Music Lovers
I only picked rock/indie music this time, if anyone wants my R&B, Hip Hop or Pop picks I’ll do those in another post.
- City and Colour is my perfect music, so I like every song, but give these a try:
- We Found Each Other in the Dark, As Much As I Ever Could, Little Hell, Grand Optimist, Waiting…, Comin Home and Hello, I’m in Delaware, Sleeping Sickness.
- Ed Sheeran: Tenerife Sea, Thinking Out Loud, Bloodstream, Give Me Love
- Dashboard Confessional Hands Down, Stolen, Vindicated, Dusk and Summer
- Death Cab for Cutie: The New Year, Crooked Teeth, Summer Skin, I Will Follow You Into the Dark
- Led Zeppelin: Levee Breaks, Heartbreaker, Whole Lotta Love
- The Rolling Stones: Beast of Burden, Satisfaction
- The Doors: Roll, Baby, Roll
- Vance Joy: Georgia, My Kind of Man
- Hozier: Arsonist’s Lullaby, From Eden
- The Lumineers: Slow It Down, Flowers in Your Hair, Dead Sea
- The Civil Wars: Devil’s Backbone, The One That Got Away
- The 1975: Sex, Chocolate, Settle Down
*Support these artists and buy their music on Itunes!
Foundation: L’Oreal Infallible Pro-Matte in Classic Ivory (obsessed with this, it’s full coverage and you can use if you have dry skin!)
Concealer: MAC Prolong Wear in NW15
Powder: NYX HD Photoready Banana Powder
Brows: Anastasia Beverly Hills (ABH) Brow Wiz in Medium Brown, Filled in with Tarte Amazonian Brow Mousse in Medium Brown, Set with NYX Brow Mascara in Brunette
Eyeshadow: Crease: LORAC Megapro Khaki, ABH Chocolate (outer crease). Lid: ABH Tamanna Dress Your Face Palette Blush and Gilded. Browbone: ABH Fresh. Lower lashline: ABH Chocolate
Eyeliner: Top Liner: L’Oreal Gel Liner in Espresso. Bottom Liner: Urban Decay 24/7 Eye Pencil in Zero.
Lashes: Velour Lashes Carli Lash
Blush: Milani Rose Powder Blush in Tea Rose (super pigment, similar to Tarte’s blushes for half the price).
Highlight: BECCA Pressed Skin Perfector in Moonstone
Lips: Lipliner: MAC Soar. Lipstick: NYX High Voltage Lipstick in Flutter Kiss
Hope you guys liked this mash-up of a post! Let me know if you prefer this or a post dedicated to a single item (clothes, makeup, music, etc.) By the way, all photos were taken by my best friend, Brielle Stanks at the Weymouth Furnace County Park in Mays Landing, NJ.